Sometimes many children are sick, the flu in the winter, the pollen in the spring, etc. We can not always be prepared for you right away.
• In order to keep the waiting times short, we ask for a prior appointment.
• Then we can take enough time for your request. Nevertheless, it sometimes takes longer. Please be patient.
• The dates for the check-ups are usually too early for premature babies. In addition, preemies often have much to catch up on.
• Therefore, we offer additional check-ups for premature babies and children at risk.
• You can also perform necessary ultrasound examinations and administer Synagis.
• You can not plan acute illnesses, usually they are inconvenient.
• We are also without an appointment for acute illnesses in the morning from 8.00 to 9.00 o’clock.
• Or you call, then we try to schedule a short term appointment (please schedule time).
• On Saturdays, you can call me by phone on the practice number for emergencies. You can reach me then by call forwarding at home or mobile.
• The check-up examinations (yellow examination booklet) are detailed examinations of the stage of development of your child.
• Each study has other priorities: physical health, development, language, hearing, vision, etc.
• Please always bring the prevention booklet, the vaccination book and the insurance card.
• We usually start with a small questionnaire to get some important information about your child.
• Measuring and weighing is always part of it.
• There is always time to ask questions during and after the check-up, investigation questions, general development, speech, hearing, sighting, etc. (some parents make a small note before they forget anything).
• In the Rgel you will be reminded by the aftercare center in Homburg of the preventive appointments. We then give the feedback back to the aftercare center.
• Forget any precaution? The Federal Association of Paediatricians offers an electronic reminder (to your e-mail address): http://www.kinderaerzte-im-netz.de/aerzte/vortkamp/erinnerungstermine.html
• Ultrasound scans are painless and harmless.
• Especially with children, they are an important aid in the investigation.
Testing helps to see where your child is.
There are a variety of test procedures that can each provide different benefits or competencies for your child.
- If you are not sure whether your child has certain abilities or if you think that some of your child’s abilities are not that strong, we can test this.
- Each test includes:
• a medical history: there are pre-existing conditions, family burdens or special life situations that may affect the performance of your child.
• Blood tests, if there is an indication of a metabolic disorder or other problems from the medical history. A detailed examination of your child
• if necessary further (specialist) examinations, e.g. EEG, eye test, hearing test etc.
• After the test a detailed explanation of the results and a consultation on how to proceed.
• if necessary, initiation of special support measures (educational counseling, speech therapy, occupational therapy, etc.)
For all test procedures:
• if there is a medical indication, the costs will be borne by the health insurer (for example, developmental test in premature babies, intelligence test for V.a. ADHD)
• If you would like a test to check your child’s status (check-up), the costs will be charged i.d.R. not taken over by the health insurance.
• In case of doubt, please contact us in advance, if necessary we can get the cost assurance from the health insurance.
• If the health insurance fund is unable to provide the cost, we must charge the examination privately. Please contact us in advance, we will gladly inform you about the costs.
Review of some tests:
- Bayley II developmental test for children from 3 months to 3 years of age focusing on cognitive performance and motor development of the child. Approved test, which i.a. in preterm infants and children with suspected developmental delay.A playful test that lasts about 45 – 60 minutes.
- Denver test
development test from 0 – 2 years, e.g. as part of the check-ups
- intelligence test
various intelligence tests, especially language-free tests allow the classification of the intelligence of your child. Remember that each intelligence test is merely an image of your child’s current mental capacity and no statement about the other capacity (eg in school). Helpful is a Intelligence test to see if your child may be overworked or under-challenged at school and therefore can not achieve good school performance or have little school or learning pleasure. Depending on the age of the child, the test lasts 1 – 2 hours, usually we arrange 2 appointments to avoid overexerting the children.
- development test
Development tests provide an overview of your child’s current development at various levels. Above all questions of the social life, school problems, physical complaints and attention disturbances are in the foreground. Depending on the test you expect with a duration of 30 – 60 minutes, possibly 2 appointments are necessary.
- concentration test
How long can your child concentrate, is there a concentration disorder? Which promotion makes sense? Duration about 10 – 30 minutes, depending on the age of the child.
- Language test, hearing test, eye test
Mostly short tests to get an overview of the child’s abilities. In case of abnormalities then usually further investigations are required. We discuss this with you.
- other testing methods
For certain questions (social behavior, perception) different test procedures are used. We discuss this in detail with you.
- School tests:
Reading-spelling weakness (dyslexia), dyscalculia (dyscalculia)
The classic school tests check school skills and special needs. These are usually not medical tests and are therefore usually not paid by the health insurance companies. In some cases they are part of medical diagnostics, e.g. in case of excessive demands or ADHD to clarify additional problems.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) or Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
Is your child suffering from ADHD or ADD or do you think that could be the case? Were you approached by teachers or educators? If ADHD or ADD is suspected, we carry out various examinations, i.a. various test procedures to determine whether such a suspicion is confirmed or whether other problems or diseases are the cause.
These include, among others:
– detailed medical history
– physical examination
– neurological examination
– Blood collection for the clarification of metabolic disorders u.a.
– EEG – brainwave measurement
– concentration test
– development test
– intelligence test
– if necessary, other examinations
We need holidays …
… no holidays planned at the moment.
By the way: during the holidays, we are usually there for you every morning from 8:00 am to 12:00 noon.
Dr. Rolf Vortkamp